The first step in planning your journey is to understand which of your necessities might be provided at your destination. The fewer items you have to transport from A to B, the better. Whether you are traveling by car or airplane (or train, perhaps?), traveling with little ones can be completely overwhelming. In this review, we will look at the best convertible car seats for travel with your kid.
Summary: Top 5 Convertible Car Seats
|Model||Key Features||Editor’s Rating (out of 5.0)|
Things you should know when buying a convertible car seat for travel
Families who are on the go often ask us which car seat is the best for airplane travel. Just like seats used exclusively in the car at home, the best travel seat might be the one caregivers can install and use properly every time. Important features for travel seats could be a little different than stay-at-home car seats so we’ve compiled a few key things to keep in mind:
- Your comfort level with installing the seat
- How heavy a seat you’re able to carry through the airport
- How many comfort features your child needs
- Open vs. closed belt path. For forward facing installations, an open belt path can place the airplane seat belt’s buckle directly behind the child’s back. The only two options on this list with a closed belt path are the Graco Contender and Combi Coccoro.
- Other factors specific to your situation
We’ve taken these factors into account and put together a few suggestions for travel seats. They’re listed in order of retail price, lowest to highest. This list is mainly convertible car seats. We’ve found that many caregivers prefer to travel with this type of seat but combination and multimode car seats can be great options too!
Convertible Travel Car Seats Reviews
The Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible Car Seat holds a rear-facing infant from 5 – 30 lbs. (height: 19 – 37 inches) and a forward-facing toddler from 22 – 40 lbs. (height: 28 – 40 inches). The Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible Car Seat meets or exceeds all applicable Federal Safety Standards, as well as Evenflo’ s Side Impact Test Standard for Structural Integrity, which uses energy levels approximately 2 times the Federal Crash Test Standard for multiple-shoulder harness positions. The 4 shoulder strap positions on the Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible Car Seat allow it to accommodate growing children longer, and the easy to access upfront harness adjustment and buckle release makes it convenient for simple harness adjusting. The energy absorbing foam liner used in the Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible Car Seat provides added safety at the same time providing extreme comfort for your infant or toddler. Harness covers, buckle covers and a plush head pillow will keep your infant or toddler comfortable during long car trips. The easily removed machine washable seat pad allows for simple cleaning, and the plastic and metal parts can be wiped clean with mild soap and water
- Removable head pillow for additional comfort and support
- 2 Crotch Buckle Positions
- Designed, Engineered, Tested, Molded and Assembled in the USA with US and global components.
- Upfront Harness Adjustment
- Easy-off, machine-washable car seat pad.
- Integrated body cushion gives added comfort to baby and an easily removable head pillow for older children
- None worthy of note
Graco 4Ever All-in-1 Car Seat gives you 10 years with one car seat. It might be very comfortable for your child and convenient for you as it transitions from rear-facing infant car seat (4-40 lbs.) to forward-facing 5-point harness seat (20–65 lbs.) to high-back belt-positioning booster (30–100 lbs.) to backless belt-positioning booster (40-120 lbs.). For a proper fit, the Simply Safe Adjust Harness System and 10-position headrest lets you adjust the harness and headrest together, with no rethreading. The 6-position recline might keep your child comfortable, while the InRight LATCH system with one-second attachment makes installation easy. It might be the only seat that truly goes from baby to booster.
- InRight LATCH system for an easy, 1-second LATCH attachment
- Forward-facing toddler car seat from 20 to 65 pounds
- Side Impact Tested.
- Engineered & crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213.
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System is adjusts without the need to rethread.
- Limited recline options
The Contender 65 has been engineered and crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213. This level of testing gives safety conscious parent extra peace of mind. It also features EPS, energy absorbing foam, for effective impact energy management. Keeping your growing child – from infant to toddler – properly positioned in the child car seat is important. With Contender 65’s one-hand, eight-position adjustable headrest, you might easily adapt to your child’s needs, from baby car seat to toddler car seat, helping to keep an always-right fit. This convertible car seat is LATCH equipped, so installation may be done either with your vehicle’s seat belt or with the built-in LATCH system. And, the seat features an easy-to-read level indicator for easy installation in the rear-facing position.
- Adjustable for Right Fit
- Smart Engineering
- Car Seats Installation Made Easy
- Safe and Simple
- Easy In, Easy Out
- None worthy of note
Help keep your growing child secure in the Graco My Ride 65 convertible car seat, in Go Green. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends your child ride rear-facing up to two years of age, so My Ride 65 keeps your baby rear-facing up to 40 pounds. (Infant car seats) and forward-facing until 65 pounds. As a toddler car seat. The seat is also Latch-equipped, Side Impact Tested, and features convenient integrated cup holders.
- Tall enough that baby won’t quickly outgrow (most babies grow out of car seat in height rather than weight)
- Easy to install with the latch system – took under 10 min the first time.
- Very lightweight compared to britax
- Allows child to recline enough that head does not tilt forward when sleeping
- Fits well in middle backseat rear – facing in Mazda 3 hatchback! Did not move front seats any!
- Very wide car seat (one of the most wide when compared to most others at baby stores)
Get the car seat that’s built to grow! From your first ride together coming home from the hospital to soccer car pools, the 3-in-1 Grow and Go Car Seat could give your child a safer and more comfortable ride. Featuring extended use at each stage, this convertible car seat is designed to last through all your firsts with your child. For newborns to growing toddlers, the Grow and Go might be used in the rear-facing position from 5-40 pounds. It includes two comfortable grow-with-baby pillows to give your new travel companion a snug fit, and they easily remove as your baby outgrows them. In forward-facing mode, the Grow and Go keeps your child protected in a harness up to 65 pounds. In both rear-facing and forward-facing mode, harness holders keep the harness in an open position. This makes it easier for you to get your child in and out of the car seat. No more fishing for the harness and clips from behind your child – they’re right there when you need them. The Quick Fit Harness may give additional convenience in both of these stages by letting you adjust the height of both the headrest and harness in one easy step, making it simple to give your growing child the best fit.
- 2 Integrated Cup holders
- Machine Washable
- QuickFit Harness
- Side Impact Protection
- Takes up less space in the back seat, for up to 7 inches of extra room in the front
- Quite pricey
We have reviewed the five best convertible car seats for travel and we are positive that you will make an informed decision when making a purchase. The Safety 1st Grow and Go 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat emerges as the best of the best. This is because it offers accessories such as cup holders and has a side impact protection unlike the rest.